This little town has seen an abundance of changes over the years.
When reminded of the ‘old’ days it makes me feel a little fuzzy and nostalgic (it also reminds me how rubbish town is now)
Lets look back at some classic events that changed our town.
1. We used to have a Woolworths.
Just where H&M stands today was a glorious Woolworths where every pre teen used to spend their Saturdays scooping up the pick n mix and buying the latest CD single (yep single) that was out that week.
2. Before it was Woolworths it was Spoils…now thats a blast from the past. Ahh Spoils…that weird shop that sold most things (mostly kitchen things) that your mum would drag you round. Fun times.
3. There was a walkway where Spoils was that took you from Head St through to Culver Sq…magical.
4. 2 letters… C&A.
Gah. Time would literally stand still in this shop. Why is it mums would congregate in this shop..always stop for 20 mins for a chat about the price of schoolwear then continue to hold up rank clothes against you. Oh and don’t forget the shouting at you for not seeming interested. Yeah soz mum.
Before the days of Liquid, were the classy old days of the ‘Hippo’.
THE place to be on a Saturday night..everyone ended up here…swaying away to ‘Ive Had The Time Of My Life’ while slurping down another WKD blue or Smirnoff Ice…vom.
6. Before you were old enough to experience Hippo there was Laristos.
With their weird teen alcohol free night, which was a haven for horny boys to try and cop off with your mate. I decided to wear white trousers one night not realising they would use UV lights that evening. What a treat for the eyes i was.
7. Impressions appeared in our lives.
The budget clothes shop was IDEAL when you were 16 and needed a quick house party outfit. Now…its just chavvy and you wouldnt been caught dead in there. Or fit in anything…sigh.
8. That time when the Tollgate McDonalds moved like 5 ft behind the existing one. I never did quite understand this….just build boots behind it (but on another note..thank god for that Boots)
9. When the Odeon was in Crouch st.
Why was it so much better then?
Why did it move?
Why has nothing ever gone in there?
All the questions.
10. When the Co-Op was next to BHS.
Going to see Father Christmas every year in the co-op was a highlight of many childhoods…how dare they steal that from us! (Although 3 floors of co-op…come on now).
11. Swag Shop.
12. Colchester Carnival.
I don’t mean the type they attempt to put on now…i mean the ones where you would get SGR Radio boiled sweets thrown at your head and balloon animals and glo-stix were the things to have while queued along the road near abbey fields.
13. When Argos was on the High St.
Because all the Elizabeth Duke jewellery was a dream when you were 12.
14. When the W&G christmas window displays used to be awesome.
They went right through the walkway to the car park and were full of magical moving creatures. Now theres about 3…. if your lucky.
15. When poundland opened and everyone thought it was megs hilarious to go…’how much dya reckon this is’…HAHA….no. oh and half the people in your year got jobs there…wtf was that secret society?!
16. Key West was the mothership of Queen Street and all school uniform trousers and most of your wardrobe came from there.