Let me just start by saying if you’re expecting a super fancy technically worded post then scroll on past because I am no expert on cameras at all!
I do however, love photography and think I know what makes a good picture which is good enough for me! and hopefully good enough for you to want to continue reading!
For my 30th birthday back in November, my family clubbed together and brought me the Olympus Pen E-PL8. I have been longing for this camera for what feels like years. In actual fact I was longing for the E-PL7 but those beauts over at Olympus decided to release the new version this year.
If you’re a blogger, you will be very aware that this is widely known as ‘the blogger camera’. A lot of bloggers/vloggers choose this camera for a variety of reasons but I think the main reason is the incredible picture quality, meaning that even if you’re not a blogger, but are interested in photography, this camera is a brilliant choice.
The camera comes in the box above. The packaging is sleek and minimalistic. Olympus know their market and have fully nailed the white simple design that so many bloggers choose for their websites, plus…hello instagrammable design.
The camera comes with the 14-42mm lense as standard and you can purchase it with the pancake lense or standard version. I went for the pancake lense which is more compact for when taking the camera out and about. The camera is surprisingly light even with the lense attached which makes it perfect for vlogging as well as carrying around.
I decided to buy the 45mm lense for myself as, after reading many reviews, it seems to be the best lense for that dreamy bokeh look (thats blurry background to you and I!).
The above photo is of the 45mm lense which is quite a chunk, however still not overly heavy.
Lets talk about my first impressions…
- The photo quality is quite simply incredible
- The flip down/out screen makes flat lays an absolute dream
- You can adjust the f.stop and white balance manually or use the auto setting which is pretty darn good.
- The interchangeable lenses mean you can get the perfect shot
- The flash is detachable
- Built in Wi-Fi means you can beam photos directly to your phone no matter where you are and upload in seconds
- Comfortable to hold
- Looks amazing
- Easy setup and easy to navigate around the menus (although I’m still learning about this bit!)
- Tripod mountable
- Olympus have released a whole bevvy of stunning accessories for this including leather/ chanel chain style shoulder straps and gorgeous camera bags these are 100% on my christmas list!
- Personally it doesn’t bother me at all but some users are upset about the fact there is no viewfinder on the camera. I actually prefer to use the screen!
- I brought the camera in white and it does get a bit grubby sometimes, however thats more my problem than a ‘con’ of the camera plus it comes straight off with a wipe (to be honest im clutching at straws here as the camera is so bloomin’ good!!!)
- Some people have picked up on the fact that the screen doesnt flip upwards so when it is mounted on a tripod you can’t actually see yourself. So probably not ideal for shooting a YouTube vid if thats your thing.
Seriously it is so hard to pick fault in the E-PL8 as I genuinely love it a ridiculous amount!
You can see examples of photos taken with the pancake lense and the 45mm lense over on my Instagram page
The Olympus Pen E-Pl8 starts at £499